Our History

YXLON Copenhagen combines the dynamics and innovativeness of a young enterprise with a wealth of tradition and years of experience in the field of industrial X-ray technology.

SMART EVO RECEIVES TOP PRIZE AT THE RED DOT AWARD

SMART EVO from YXLON Copenhagen is now an award-winning top achievement after being presented with the prestigious Red Dot Award; Best of the Best in Product Design 2015.

SMART EVO won over the 38-member jury of the Red Dot Award and proved its design excellence in this respected global competition. Out of 4,928 participants, SMART EVO stood out and was awarded the Red Dot: Best of the Best for top quality and innovative product design.

Best of the Best is the highest individual achievement in the Red Dot Award. Only outstanding products receive this award - and in 2015, only 1.6 % of all entries in the competition won this attractive award. This means that YXLON Copenhagen is one of the forerunners in international design within the industry.


YXLON Copenhagen launches the SMART EVO

YXLON Copenhagen heralds a new era of smarter workflows for your portable X-ray applications, with the global launch of the SMART EVO series.

YXLON Copenhagen has developed the new SMART EVO industrial X-ray system. Built in Denmark to stringent specifications with the highest quality components, the products are both built to last and operate accurately even in the harshest environments.


2012 - 2013 YXLON Copenhagen starts their new era

YXLON Copenhagen becomes an independent business unit called Portable X-Ray. New recruitments were completed and a dedicated team with improved responsibilities started a new era for the portable business.

High growth rates from implementing a new focused sales model is realized as outcome of the new Group strategy. Focusing on strong growth and accelerated development of the portable and mobile X-ray systems makes YXLON Copenhagen the world’s no. 1 manufacturer of high-end portable and mobile X-ray systems.



2010 - 2011 A successful implementation of ISO 9001:2008

A positive implementation of ISO 9001:2008 in 2010 is the result of YXLON Copenhagen's improved methods and procedures. The ISO certificate, successfully renewed afterwards on a yearly basis, was a step in the continuous implementation of "Quality first" and constitutes a solid platform for future growth.

Manufacturing and service of the mobile Y.XMB products were transferred to the facilities at YXLON Copenhagen. Responsibility for the product was placed at the factory in Copenhagen, which now focuses on optimizing processes related to these high quality mobile products.


2008 - 2010 Innovative and stable during the world economic crisis

With the presentation of its new high-power product line at the 17th World Congress on Non-destructive Testing in Shanghai in 2008, COMET underscored its leading position in industrial X-ray technology.

E-beam technology was recognized with the Swiss Technology Award in 2009. With its compact, low-voltage electron emitter, COMET developed a top-quality product suitable for sterilizing packages in in-line processes.

In 2010, the COMET Group emerged even stronger from one of the most severe global financial crises ever, thanks to its systematic implementation of the Group strategy, improved productivity and cost optimization efforts.


2007 - 2008 A strong partnership with COMET Group

In 2007, YXLON International Holding GmbH was taken over by COMET Holding AG (Switzerland). The COMET Group is a leading global provider of high-quality systems, components and services in X-ray, e-beam and RF technologies.

COMET and YXLON are well-established brands that have enjoyed an outstanding reputation for decades in their complementary segments of the market for X-ray-based non-destructive testing.

While COMET primarily manufactures high-tech components and modules, YXLON offers complete system solutions that also include software and services.


2006 - 2007 New manufacturing facilities in Copenhagen

In 2006, YXLON Copenhagen decided to move to new facilities just outside Copenhagen, at Helgeshøj Alle 38 in Taastrup. The reason for this was the company’s expansion, which meant that improved facilities were required.

The new factory included a larger space for manufacturing and inventory, together with new equipment and machines. In the following years, production output continued to increase substantially.



1998 - 2003 YXLON International and new traditions

In the spring of 1998, YXLON International X-Ray GmbH was founded as a result of a management buy-out and the merger of Philips Industrial X-Ray GmbH and ANDREX ApS.

YXLON International became the world’s leading provider of X-ray testing equipment for industrial applications. ANDREX ApS changed their name to YXLON International A/S.

In 1999, YXLON took over Philips' activities in Japan in the field of industrial X-raying. The firm YXLON International KK was founded in Tokyo. YXLON also strengthened its position further in the Asian region by opening two sales offices in China in 2002 and 2003.


1954 - 1970 ANDREX ApS was founded in Copenhagen

In 1954, Holger Andreasen began trading with X-ray units. The units were named ANDREX, a name which referred to his last name ANDREasen and to X-ray. Aage Andreasen won a large order for 25 units of 160 kV for the United States Air Force and opened a small factory at Islands Brygge in Copenhagen. In 1955, the first real ANDREX portable X-ray system was released.

Over the following years the factory in Copenhagen was enlarged and more employees were recruited as production and sales grew at a steady pace. More than 30 types of tubes from 80 kV to 300 kV and over 20 different control units were developed.

In 1962, it was necessary to find a new location for the factory. It so happened that the old tobacco company C.W.Obel was moving, and Halfdansgade 8 became the address for manufacturing of portable X-ray system over the following years.

In 1970 the first line of mobile X-ray products was manufactured in Copenhagen.


1948 - 1950 The beginning of COMET

COMET AG was founded in 1948 as “Gesellschaft für elektronische Röhren AG” by Gerhard Steck in Berne-Liebefeld, Switzerland.

Seven Swiss investors contributed with CHF 1.5 million in start-up capital for the production of fixed anode X-ray tubes for medical applications. This was in response to bottlenecks in X-ray tube production for medical applications immediately following World War II.

In 1950 Dr. Beat Steck, the founder’s son, took over the helm of this young pioneering company, heading the sales department.

A forward-looking, dynamic company was born.



1895 - 1896 The beginning of X-ray technology

On November 8th, 1895, Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen discovered the rays he called “X-rays”. Later on the rays were renamed to “Röntgenstrahlen” in German in his honor, though the original designation has lasted to this day in English.

Based on Röntgen’s discovery, Carl Heinrich Florenz Müller, a native Thuringian glass-blower and factory owner, developed the first X-ray tube in Hamburg in 1896.